Individuals with chronic lung disease know that breathing is sometimes hard work.
The slightest activity may cause shortness of breath impacting day-to-day functioning and quality of life. It’s not uncommon for people to say that climbing just one flight of stairs or simply walking to the mailbox causes difficulty breathing. Consequently, some people become less active which negatively impacts their physical health—including breathing. That’s where pulmonary rehabilitation comes in.
Pulmonary Rehabilitation is a personalized, supervised program that includes exercise classes and education about your lung disease or condition.
Participating in pulmonary rehabilitation will not cure or reverse lung disease, but it may make breathing easier and help you to resume more activities. Our outpatient rehabilitation sessions are held three days per week for 12-weeks. Each session lasts approximately two hours.
Our Pulmonary Rehabilitation program is designed to help patients with a number of chronic respiratory conditions, including:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Chronic bronchitis
- Pulmonary hypertension
Pulmonary Rehabilitation education classes provide you with information about:
- Your pulmonary condition
- Normal and diseased lung processes
- How to use medications and oxygen appropriately
- Breathing retraining
- Diet, nutrition and weight management
- Stress management
- Energy conservation
- Risk factors
Pulmonary Rehabilitation exercise sessions are tailored to your needs and abilities. Our planned set of exercises focus on improving your quality of life and may:
- Allow you to be more physically active with less shortness of breath
- Increase strength and endurance
- Produce higher energy levels
- Improve your ability to cope with daily activities
- Decrease symptoms
- Better manage anxiety and depression
NEW CARDIOPULMONARY GYM
Pulmonary Rehabilitation sessions take place in the new cardiopulmonary gym located on the fourth floor of the Wright Family Medical Pavilion. For more information, please call 740.393.9692.
The Respiratory Care Staff are licensed as Respiratory Care Practitioners by the Ohio Respiratory Care Board.
Making changes that work for you
To reach your goals, you’ll probably need to make changes to your lifestyle. To help make changes go more smoothly:
- Expect new emotions. It’s common to resist or feel angry or scared about having to make changes. You’re not alone. Share your feelings with the pulmonary rehab team and people close to you.
- Prepare yourself for slow, steady progress. Change doesn’t happen overnight. To feel your best, you need to commit yourself to practicing your new skills. Over time, you’ll be stronger, have more control of shortness of breath, and be able to do more. But only if you keep at it.
- Get support. Get support from family and friends as you try new things. Tell the people in your life how they can help you reach your goals. Share your ideas and tips for success with other members of your pulmonary rehab group. And don’t be embarrassed to ask for help.
© 2000-2015 The StayWell Company, LLC. 780 Township Line Road, Yardley, PA 19067. All rights reserved. This information is not intended as a substitute for professional medical care. Always follow your healthcare professional's instructions.