The Best Prevention is Early Detection
Having access to breast cancer experts is an essential part of our winning formula.
At Knox Community Hospital, we offer advanced diagnostic, surgical, and medical treatment for breast cancer and breast disease.
KCH is fortunate to have a Breast Health Navigator—a healthcare professional whose focus is on breast health. Her primary goal is to focus on the patient's needs, while including family members and supportive friends.
Breast Health Navigators act as a bridge between an inpatient setting and an outpatient setting to offer an enhanced patient-nurse relationship for those with a breast disease diagnosis.
The role of the BHN includes:
• Provide psychological and emotional support to the patient and family throughout the cancer journey
• Deliver education and teach self-care
• Coach those with a cancer diagnosis to be an informed participant in her/his care
• Coordinate care throughout the treatment and recovery process
Additional goals of the Breast Health Navigator are to:
• Coordinate your care with the healthcare team
• Provide you with information on financial assistance programs
• Reduce stress by providing education regarding your diagnosis and, when necessary, treatment options
• Connect you with resources for cancer support
• Empower you to participate in your care and treatment process
The Breast Health Navigator is a teacher, a liaison and an advocate throughout the cancer journey.
At Knox Community Hospital, Kelli Downey, RN, BSN is our Breast Health Navigator. Kelli is a registered nurse who will be your direct contact for all breast health care needs. You can reach her by calling 740.393.5579.
Planning your annual mammogram should not have to include worrying about the cost.
Knox Community Hospital has access to programs that may help cover the cost of your mammogram and other breast healthcare needs, especially if you are uninsured or under-insured.