Did you know?
- The frequency of this cancer has increased almost 800% since 1975.
- Once discovered, the overall death rate within 5 years of a diagnosis of esophageal cancer is 85-90%, while it is only approximately 20% for colon cancer!
- Esophageal Cancer is more common in men than women.
- In patients with typical GERD symptoms consisting of heartburn, regurgitation, or both that occurred once a week or more, the incidence of cancer was 8 times higher than those without GERD symptoms.
Lowering Your Risk
- Limit alcohol use.
- Avoid smoking and other tobacco products
- Get medical treatment if you have acid reflux (GERD)
- Balanced diet
- Maintain an appropriate weight